Dr. Bruce R. Hamaker
General Research Areas
- Carbohydrates and health
- Cereal chemistry
Specific Research Areas
- Manipulation of starch digestion rate for low glycemic response/slow digestion
- Dietary fiber, modifications in functionality and fermentability, microbiota changes
- Cereal starch and protein functionality
- Textural properties influenced by starch fine structure
- Interactions between starch and other food components
- Appropriate methods of improving cereal utilization in developing countries
- Cereal endosperm texture
- Electron and confocal microscopy of cereal components
- Amy H.-M. Lin, B.L. Nichols, Z. Ao, R. Quezada-Calvillo, S.E. Avery, L. Sim, D.R.Rose, H.Y. Naim, B. R. Hamaker. (2012) Unexpected high digestion rate of cooked starch by the Ct-maltase-glucoamylase small intestine mucosal alpha-glucosidase subunit. PLoS ONE 7(5): e35473. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0035473
- Erickson, D.P., Campanella, O.H., Hamaker, B.R. (2012). Functionalizing maize zein in viscoelastic dough systems through fibrous, beta-sheet-rich protein networks: An alternative, physicochemical approach to gluten-free breadmaking. Trends in Food Science and Technology.
- Zhang, P., Hamaker, B.R. (2011) Banana starch and its digestibility. Carbohydrate Polymers 87:1552-1558.
- Rumpagaporn, P., Kaur, A., Campanella, O.H., Patterson, J.A., Hamaker, B.R. (2011). Heat and pH stability of alkali-extractable corn arabinoxylan and its xylanase-hydrolyzate and their viscosity behavior. Journal of Food Science 77:H23-H30.
- Kaur, A., Rose, D.J., Rumpagaporn, P., Patterson, J.A., Hamaker, B.R. (2011). In vitro batch fecal fermentation comparison of gas and short-chain fatty acid production by "slowly fermentable" dietary fibers. Journal of Food Science 76:H137-H142.
- Shah, A., Zhang, G., Hamaker, B.R., Campanella, O.H. (2011). Rheological properties of a soluble nanoscale self-assembled complex from starch, protein and free fatty acids. Journal of Food Engineering 105:444-452.
- McCrory, M.A., Hamaker, B.R., Lovejoy, J.C., Eichelsdoerfer, P.E. (2010). Pulse consumption, satiety and weight management. Advances in Nutrition 1:17-30.
- Kale, M.S., Pai, D.A., Hamaker, B.R., Campanella, O.H. (2010). Structure-function relationships for corn bran arabinoxylans. Journal of Cereal Science 52:368-372.
- Zhang, G., Maladen, M., Campanella, O.H., Hamaker, B.R. (2010). Free fatty acids electronically bridge the self-assembly of a three-component nanocomplex consisting of amylose, protein, and free fatty acids. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58:9164-9170.
- Benmoussa, M., Hamaker, B.R., Huang, C.P., Sherman, D.M., Weil, C.F., BeMiller, J.N. (2010) Elucidation of maize endosperm starch granule channel proteins and evidence for plastoskeletal structures in maize endosperm amyloplasts. Journal of Cereal Science 52:22-29.
- Zhang, G., Hamaker, B.R. (2010). Cereal carbohydrates and colon health. Cereal Chemistry 87:331-341.
- Rose, D.J., Patterson, J.A., Hamaker, B.R. (2010). Structural differences among alkali-soluble arabinoxylans from maize (Zea mays), rice (Oryza sativa), and wheat (Triticum aestivum) brans influence human fecal fermentation profiles. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58:493-499.
- Rose, D.J., Venema, K., Keshavarzian, A., Hamaker, B.R. (2010). Starch-entrapped microspheres show a beneficial fermentation profile and decrease in potentially harmful bacteria during in vitro fermentation in fecal microbiota obtained from patients with inflammatory bowel disease. British Journal of Nutrition 103:1514-1524.
- Zhang, G., Hamaker, B.R. (2009). Slowly digestible starch: concept, mechanism a proposed extended glycemic index. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 49:852-867.
- Venkatachalam, M., Kushnick, M.R., Zhang, G., Hamaker, B.R. (2009). Biopolymer-entrapped starches as a novel approach to vary blood glucose profiles. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 28:583-590.
- Matalanis, A.M., Campanella, O.H., Hamaker, B.R. (2009). Storage retrogradation behavior of sorghum, maize and rice starch pastes related to amylopectin fine structure. Journal of Cereal Science 50:74-81.
- Rose, D.J., Keshavarzian, A., Patterson, J.A., Venkatachalam, M., Gillevet, P., Hamaker, B.R. (2009). Starch-entrapped microspheres extend in vitro fecal fermentation, increases butyrate production, and influences microbiota pattern. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 53:121-130.
- Zhang, G., Maghaydah, S., Ao, Z., Hamaker, B.R. (2008). Slowly digestible state of starch: mechanism of slow digestion property of gelatinized starch. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 56:4695-4702.
- Zhang, G., Ao, Z., Hamaker, B.R. (2008). Nutritional property of endosperm starches from maize mutants: a parabolic relationship between slowly digestible starch content and amylopectin fine structure. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 56:4686-4694.
- Ao, Z., Quezada-Calvillo, R., Sim, L., Nichols, B.L., Rose, D.R., Sterchi, E.E., Hamaker, B.R. (2007) Evidence of native starch degradation with human small intestinal maltase-glucoamylase (recombinant). FEBS Letters 581:2381-2388.
- Ao, Z., Simsek, S., Zhang, G., Venkatachalam, M., Reuhs, B.L., Hamaker, B.R. (2007) Starch with slow digestion property produced by altering its chain-length, branch density and crystalline structure. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 55:4540-4547.
- Mejia, C.D., Mauer, L.J., Hamaker, B.R. (2007) Similarities and differences in secondary structure of viscoelastic polymers of maize g-zein and wheat gluten proteins. Journal of Cereal Science 45:353-359.
- Benmoussa, M., Moldenhauer, K.A.K., Hamaker, B.R. (2007) Rice amylopectin fine structure variability affects starch digestion properties. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 55:1475-1479.
- Rose, D.J., Demeo, M.T., Kesavarzian, A., Hamaker, B.R. (2007) Influence of dietary fiber on inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer, and the importance of its fermentation pattern (lead article). Nutrition Reviews 65:51-62.
- Lee, S-H., Hamaker, B.R. (2006) Cys 155 of 27 kDa maize g-zein is a key amino acid to improve its in vitro digestibility. FEBS Letters 580:5803-5806.
- Zhang, G., Venkatachalam, M., Hamaker, B.R. (2006) Structural basis for the slow digestion property of native cereal starches. Biomacromolecules 7:3259-3266.
- Zhang, G., Ao, Z., Hamaker, B.R. (2006) Slow digestion property of native cereal starches. Biomacromolecules 7:3252-3258.
- Han, X-Z., Ao, S., Janaswamy, S., Jane, J-L., Chandrasekaran, R., Hamaker, B.R. (2006) Development of a low glycemic maize starch: preparation and characterization, Biomacromolecules 7:1162-1168.
- Tesso, T., Ejeta, G., Chandrashekar, A., Huang, C.P., Tandjung, A., Lewamy, M., Axtell, J.D., and Hamaker, B.R. (2006) A novel modified endosperm texture in a mutant high protein digestibility/high-lysine grain sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench], Cereal Chemistry 83:194-201.
- Zhang, G., Hamaker, B.R. (2005) Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench) flour pasting properties influenced by free fatty acids and protein. Cereal Chemistry 82:534-540.
- Tandjung, A. S., Janaswamy, S., Chandrasekaran, R., Aboubacar, A., Hamaker, B. R. (2005) Role of the pericarp cellulose matrix as a moisture barrier in microwaveable popcorn. Biomacromolecules 6:1654-1660.
- Han, X.Z., Benmoussa, M., Gray, J.A., BeMiller, J.N., Hamaker, B.R. (2005) Detection of proteins in starch granule channels. Cereal Chemistry 82:351-355.
- Bugusu, B.A., Campanella, O., Hamaker, B.R. (2001) Improvement of sorghum-wheat composite dough rheological properties and breadmaking quality through zein addition. Cereal Chemistry 78:31-35.
- Oria, M.P., Hamaker, B.R., Axtell, J.D. (2000) A highly digestible sorghum cultivar exhibits a unique folded structure of endosperm protein bodies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 97:5065-5070.